Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Telex Stratus Heli-XT ANR headset review


Update 05/2016: Please check out my most recent review for the Lightspeed Tango Wireless Headset helicopter version.  

Hard to find reviews on this item, so I am writing my own.  Skygeek's price is the best I have found on this item.  

For what its worth, I own two DC headsets, a converted H10-40 and a passive H10-56, and a Bose X.  I primarily fly S76s and 407s in the gulf.  

The Heli-XT is slightly bigger than most headsets.  Normally not a problem but when you turn your head you can bang it on head cushions, etc. at times.  Many headsets leave you with extra cord dangling around the cockpit but this coiled cord is just the right length with not a lot of slack.  The earcups are not left and right specific so you can just throw the mike boom over the top and hook in on whichever side is closest to the ICS plug.  

The AA batteries are consumed at a pretty fast rate.  Use rechargeables.  My headset came with two 2450 mAh AA rechargable batts AND a charger that hooks directly into the battery compartment, so unless you want a wall charger you will already be set up.  

Passive protection is excellent due to the big ear cushions.  The ANR is not as aggressive as some higher end sets but it does improve the audio quality.  If the batteries and ANR temporarily run out, its not a big deal because of the high degree of passive protection.  

Headband clamping force is pretty firm (and adjustable), but not uncomfortable.  I have a pretty big noggin and wearing it for six hours straight does not cause any problems.  

Volume level can be adjusted very high, which I love since I fly with earplugs also, and other headsets I have flown can be difficult to hear with earplugs in.  

Audio quality clear in and out.  We'll see how it holds up over the long term but so far I am very happy with this purchase.  

*** Update 4/2016

Over the past three plus years, the Heli-XT headset has held up quite well, flying 300-400 hours per year in commercial use.  It has never been in for repair but I replaced the ear cushions once when the foam finally wore through!  This is not a top-of-the-line headset but is a very capable and functional headset that should meet the needs of most pilots, and at a very good price.  

I have never used the charger that plugs directly into the headset to charge the batteries, it was easier for me to purchase an Energizer or Eveready wall charger (with included batteries) and keep one set of batteries in the headset and the other set as a backup.  You will not have a hard time figuring out when the headset batteries are low, if you miss the flashing red light, you will hear a lot of strange noises and then static in the headset as the batteries give up the last of their charge.  

Over the last few months, I have experienced some problems with the power button while turning the ANR on and off, and wear on the battery door which causes the battery door to fall off by itself sometimes, but the ANR still works well.  I emailed Telex customer service for instructions on returning the headset for a factory refurb but they never did email me back.  I plan on keeping this headset as a spare, and buying a Lightspeed Tango for my new primary headset, review to follow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment